Friday, November 07, 2008

The acronym

Must write blog post.

I've decided that I am indeed doing NaBloPoMo. I'll be off to a low ropes course overnight with my 8th and 9th graders later, so I'd better post something now so I don't forget.

NaBloPoMo.

As acronyms go, I have to say that these NaNoWriMo/NaBloPoMo types strike me as....shall we say....less clever than some. Take an acronym like SCUBA. You never find yourself wondering, "Wait--is it SCUBA diving, or SBUCA diving?--Let's see. . . Self. . . Contained. . . OK, so it must be SCUBA."

Every time I type NaBloPoMo, once I get past the N-A- I have to work it out again, even if I just typed it a sentence before. Now if it was simplified to NaBlo, or BloMo, or possibly even BloPoMo, my brain would make a new word out of it and I'd find myself forgetting what the letters stand for. Which it seems to me is the point of an acronym--to make room in your brain for things like brilliant blog posts, rather than to give you a topic to post about.

How many of you say "sea anemone" wrong?
I said "anenomy" for years, until Ben became interested in tide pools and in reading at the same time. In the middle of a book about the little creatures we both went, "Wait. Aneh-money? Ah-nem-mony? Anemone. Huh!" I rarely hear it pronounced correctly.

Nablo. Nablo. Nablo.
Nablo, PoMo.
Nablo, pomo.
Nablopomo.
Got it.

No comments: