How convenient that Evan fell completely in love with riding his bike, right at the brink of my decision to drive less. Last week we didn't drive at all, until Friday evening when I had a meeting across the state border that lasted until 10:00 pm. I drove to the same meeting place on Saturday and Sunday, then picked up the boys and their bikes at my in-laws' apartment. From there we stopped to get our propane tank refilled, pick up some heavy groceries like cat litter, and shop for shorts and Kung Fu Panda t-shirts. We're all in agreement that we'll have another week without using the car (except for my writing group tomorrow, which is across town and generally lasts until 10).
When the boys got into the car for the first time in a week, Evan said, "It feels weird being in a car. Like we're renting this car!"
It takes a little more planning to get places by bike and bus, but not much more time. Last week the boys rode bikes with Chris or me to 2 friends' houses, the grocery store, 2 parks, the library, the farmer's market, to pick up our CSA produce, and to grandma and grandpa's house (Evan rode the trail-a-bike with Chris for that one, which is 4 miles). We also took the bus to one friend's house. The longest bike trip Evan rode solo was 3 miles each way. And at the end of each day, after dinner, Evan either hopped on his bike and rode around on our street, or asked Chris or I to take a bike ride with him. I'm telling you, the boy is smitten.
2 comments:
That is wonderful. I keep thinking I should live in Oregon. It seems like a friendly place. They're starting to catch on about bike lanes around here, but even the ones we have seem so dangerous I'd be afraid to go anywhere substantial on a bike, especially with kids. Besides, we have the suburban sprawl problem and many places are just too far. There's a big push for public transportation, but it's going very slow.
You'd fit right in here, Julia. :-) Come visit!
Post a Comment