Friday, February 10, 2006

Thinking outside the pen

Evan got me erasable pens for Christmas, to do the crossword puzzle with. I love my erasable pens, but does that mean I can find them each morning when I want to do the crossword puzzle? Does it mean that I don't frequently lose the cap of the pen?--you know, the part with the eraser on it? Why, of course not.

So, the other morning, as I used my last capless erasable pen to do the crossword puzzle, Evan informed me that the finger grip (though completely different in appearance) was made of the same stuff as the eraser, so he advised that I try erasing with it. Then he proceeded to carefully show me how, if you hold the pen at just the right angle, one little ridge of the rubber pencil grip can be rubbed on the ink and does, indeed, erase.

Never in a million years would I have thought of that.

My question is: will the boy be able to figure out how to fix the oven (which gets plenty hot, but prefers to make it's own temperature decisions rather than relying on the suggestions printed on the dial) before it stops working completely?

**********************************************************

I got my hair cut and styled yesterday. Following are the reviews of both my children:

Evan (Spontaneously, hours later): I really, really love how pretty your hair looks.

Ben (When we arrived home): You don't look like Mom anymore. Mess it up a little bit, OK?

1 comment:

Glenda said...

It's a lot easier to think outside the box, er, pen, when you're in an environment that comfortably allows that, which Evan obviously is in =) Just think how his thinking would be squashed by all the rules in a typical school environment . . . ("no, Evan, you can't use the clip as an eraser because it's a CLIP"). Go Evan!!!